Monday, June 21, 2010

Never Let Me Go: Week 5

I just watched the Never Let Me Go trailer. I usually don't like film/television adaptations of novels, especially ones I really like. I think the only exception is Dexter, which is an amazing TV show but just a so-so series in my opinion. Anyways, I'm always that person who picks on all the details and inaccuracies, even though I know they can't always include every part of the book because then all movies would be ten hours long. I don't know if I want to see the Never Let Me Go movie, I really loved the book. I thought it was beautifully written, and I even liked how it ended. It doesn't help that I strongly dislike Keira Knightly and don't feel like she's anything like the Ruth that I imagined in my head. This dislike probably stems from her terrible display in the Pride and Prejudice adaptation (I love that book, and really like the BBC version of the movie), but that's not really the point. I just feel like the narration throughout Never Let Me Go is so important to the story and how you see the characters, and I don't know how that will translate to film. I'll probably see it and then walk out of the theatre talking like a big book snob and listing all the things that were wrong like after Lord of the Rings came out.

Here would be my ideal cast for interests sake (I tried to keep everyone British):
Ruth: Lily Cole or Sienna Miller 10 years ago
Kathy: Bonnie Wright
Tommy: Thomas Sangster
Madame: Emily Blunt
Miss Emily: Helena Bonham Carter
Miss Lucy: Eva Green

1 comment:

  1. It looks like they've incorporated the narration into the film adaptation, so it might be interesting to compare the two.

    I also disliked KK in the P&P adaptation - I particularly hated the ending of that adaptation, where he's kissing her and calling her Mrs. Darcy.

    I did, however, find KK terrific in the adaptation of Atonement - so I'm hopeful that she'll do Ruth justice.

    ReplyDelete